Wednesday, September 9, 2009

New Khan on the block

Visually-impaired debutant Naseer Khan's movie promises to be thrilling, but his life has more to offer

Naseer Khan was born blind, but refused to let his disability hold him back.

This 36-year-old real life hero has turned reel life hero as well Shadow, the movie he acts in and produces, hits the screens today.

Naseer runs a successful real-estate business based in Kanpur, and even a brief listing of his exploits are enough to put any normal person to shame. He can swim, ride a bike and a car, play musical instruments, repair electronic goods, and has even completed four levels of Microsoft certification in computer hardware.

Naseer's biggest ambition though lay elsewhere; he wanted to be a part of the list of famous Khans in Bollywood, an ambition he has steadily pursued. And today, he will realise his dream with the release of Shadow The Dark Side of Truth.

Khan plays a double role in the thriller directed by Rohit Nayyar, and which he has co-produced with Shamshad Aalam. He has written the movie's story himself, too. As the owner of a music label and film distribution business, Naseer has been long associated with movie business. To write and act in a movie would be achievement enough for most people, but for multi-talented Naseer it's one more addition to a long list of achievements.

Naseer tells us his tale:

Were you born blind?
I was born blind. When I was three, I got operated six times but only 10-15 per cent of the vision in my right eye was restored while I was toally blind in my left eye. In 1990, I had a retina detachment and the operation turned out ot be unsuccessful. I am now fully blind.

How do you feel today after completing the movie and while waiting for the audience's reaction?
This is a very exciting moment. I am very confident about my project but I won't lie, there is some nervousness. The director and music director are confident but being the producer and actor, the whole burden is on my shoulders. Until the audience gives its verdict, I can't predict anything.

What attracted you to the film industry?
In 1992, when I was working in my father's office, my uncle scolded me and told me not to use the typewriter. I was depressed. I had only two options: to go back to sleep or fight with everybody and prove that I too can do it. I decided to learn typing and went to a typing institute The same uncle later appreciated me, but unfortunately he is no more. He is the person who helped me realise that I can do anything if I want. I finished all four levels of Microsoft certification, studied electronic mechanics and I also run a tanning unit. I wanted to prove some more to the world so now I have completed my first movie as a producer, actor, and writer.

What was the toughest thing you faced while shooting?
I had to shoot a song sequence with lions in Thailand at midnight. The director convinced me and explained how I have to do the scene. He would give me a cue and I had to follow his voice and go amidst the lions. I was worried, after all it's an animal and if it gets provoked, that's it. But it went well. Nothing is easy until you try it.
There was also an action scene where I had to go around seven feet under water, and then a jet would propel me out of the water and I had to shoot a guy exactly the moment I came out. It was a real pain because from nine in the morning we were shooting in the sea till we got the perfect shot!

Any plans to screen this movie exclusively for visually disabled people?
Just today I learned that we could add some sort of commentary to the movie so that visually disabled people can also enjoy it. Whatever it costs, it doesn't bother me as a producer, I will spend it.

Is it true that you're planning to send your movie for film festivals abroad?
I have already got into the Limca Book of Records, and I am not going to miss any film festival abroad, including the Oscars!

What's your message for other visually disabled people?
If you are committed and if you work hard, you can do anything.

No comments: